Friday, September 24, 2010

Fridays are fun because...

for most people they spell the end of the work week. As someone who spends less than the normal amount of time doing actual work and more time doing the thing I love Fridays are a day for recovery (from sport, not booze) and for reflection on my accomplishments of the week with a look-ahead to this weekend and what I hope to accomplish this upcoming week.

This week feels good, like I did a lot. Moved forward on two projects, wrote another large chunk of my story for Asimov's and should *crosses fingers and jumps around twice* hopefully get some sketches from the artist on another project. (the crossing of fingers and jumping is to denote excitement, not a lack of faith that the event will occur) All of which culminated with my weekly basketball game last night during which I played fairly well. My outside shot was off, just couldn't knock it down (though I didn't really take that many, maybe three or four in Seven games) but I did make some nifty lay-ups, one that was just ridiculous and another that was what a SportsCenter anchor would call "Taken it to the hole!". Really pretty tired today from playing in every game last night, though. No rest for the almost-dynasty. Very proud of my team, they played strong.

So, look ahead. Well, tonight there's a going away party for an old friend who's moving to Colorado with her boyfriend and I'm so excited for her. I'm not a huge fan of going to parties by myself, but no one seems to be around to join me so I shall make the trek alone. Tomorrow, barring a ridiculous storm or the continuous onslaught of excessive wind that's plagued the Chicago area lately, I have a tennis match scheduled with my buddy Joe. We tend to play excellent matches filled with moral-crushing passing shots and ankle-breaking drop shots. I'll post the results...even if I lose, promise!

I'm hoping that over the next few days (meaning by Sunday) I'll have worked up the pitch for a new idea I'm working on to pitch to a company called Campfire. They do stand-alone graphic novel stories along with transcribing classic books (e.g. moby dick) into graphic novels. The nice part about this company is that they have a host of artists of staff, so I don't have to bring a complete project to them, just an great idea that they'd want to work on.

Ok, so as promised I'm including one sketch page from my upcoming ApeCmx UFO Anthology story. Without further adieu, here it is!


I can't say enough about Mike's style. I really love how he captures the scene I was setting up which, as you can see in the last two panels at the bottom, is the destruction of London (that's Big Ben toppling to the ground!) and for my British friend out there...nothing personal, I actually wrote that part before I even knew you! haha

Alright, my faithful readers, I shall bid you a fond farewell. I may update again over the weekend, but if not I hope it's a great weekend for everyone!

No comments:

Eulogizing Social Media

Not to betray some kind of unknown truth about me or anything but...I’m closer to 40 than 30 and what that means is that I grew up in a w...