Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Angry Writer on the Loose!

Fully grasping the idea of how things are supposed to be is an idea that generally escapes and eludes most people. I can honestly say that it eluded me for a very long time. But times have changed. There’s an intelligent black man in the white house, instead of the ignorant whitey we had for so long. Sarah Palin is a villain. Marvel is making good movies. The Batman movie franchise is relevant again. The world is a pretty crazy place, clearly.

I’m here to tell you, it’s going to be OK. Global warming may ruin the planet for those unfortunate souls still alive in the year 2100, but that’s their problem, not ours. Be concerned with what you can control, not what you cannot. Now, don’t try and twist my words around and say “this guy is anti-environment”, no, wrong, stop it. Recycling takes NO EFFORT at all, and benefits the world incredibly. But I came across a facebook post today of a “friend” of mine who linked an article some woman had posted online talking about how they had “given up the fight” of being a vegetarian because she realized that her efforts were going unnoticed by the major food corporations. Ok, first of all…DUH! How stupid are you? I will quote from Community, “Believe it or not, I dropped out of High School because I thought it would impress Radiohead.” (Britta Perry) The same nonsensical idea applies to this woman’s article which I have refused to link in this blog because it is SO STUPID that it doesn’t deserve the readership of my faithful followers. The fact of the matter is that the machine of consumerism cares so incredibly little for the opinions and actions of the individual, and if you didn’t already know that, then you need to go to any gas station in America and attempt to barter over the price of your gasoline. Once they’ve stopped laughing at you they’ll probably ban you for life from the store.

The capitalist society is built on the idea of choice. You are free to have yours but maintaining a choice or even a belief because you think it’s going to affect society or events outside your sphere of influence (yes, typically this term is used in reference to nations and not people, but the rules still apply) then you truly need therapy for your MASSIVE FUCKING EGO. You cannot change the world. I don’t say that to be a defeatist, I say it to be a realist. The biggest things in the world that needed to have a world-changer have happened. You’re not MLK. You’re not Jackie Robinson. You’re not (whoever the first major professional popular athlete to admit being gay…or maybe you are). Stop thinking you’re important, because you’re just not.

Soap box conquered and squashed. On to more fun things!

So as some of you hopefully noticed I started posting articles on a new website as well last week, (www.8daysageek.com) and I will be posting another new article on this Friday as well. Last week I featured the much maligned 90s comic Cyberforce; truly unappreciated in its day. This week I will be featuring another rather unknown comic, Blue Monday. It’s an Oni Press book; creator owned, written and drawn by one amazing person (to be profiled in the feature). It’s a really great book and I hope you all check it out.

Hmm…what else…I had a really cool moment last Friday while working with Matt. We brainstormed an idea for about 2 minutes and within 20 minutes I had written the entire 1-page pitch. It was awesome. It helps that the idea itself is pretty amazing (more details to come once it’s in development).

Alright, that’s all for now. I should have another new post up on Friday!

Peace,

TB (JQ)

No comments:

Eulogizing Social Media

Not to betray some kind of unknown truth about me or anything but...I’m closer to 40 than 30 and what that means is that I grew up in a w...