Tuesday, January 4, 2011

You've Been Derezzed

I know what you're thinking...holy crap, another blog after only a couple days. I promise this isn't someone else hijacking my blog and updating it more regularly, it's me...and I'll prove it, just you wait.

So I've been pretty obsessed for the last couple days with the Tron soundtrack. I've always been a fan of Daft Punk since their early days with the album Discovery. They have managed to consistently keep me coming back for more with hypnotic electronica sounds. I'm pretty sure they are the only group to survive through my many phases of musical likes and dislikes. Sure, like most people my age I have a healthy collection of trance and electronic music buried in the nether regions of my iTunes playlists but I rarely pull them out. There was a recent writing project I was working on that I really wanted background music for but found lyric laden music to be distracting so I made an entire playlist comprised of nothing but trance and electronica. Yes...nerdtastic I know. If anyone is curious I could share it with you, hah...like that'll happen.

Abruptly switching topics; I finished watching the first disc of the Japanese Animated show Last Exile last night and I must say, I'm intrigued. The story itself is compelling and visually it's outstanding. There's parts of the story that I don't fully understand, mainly because I believe the writers have created a storyline where some things just have to be accepted for what they are without explanation. For instance, the culture of the people. The armies battling in certain scenes (not pivotal to the story, from what I can tell) carry an idea of classic sea-faring battles with massive ships pulling alongside one another to fire their cannons and they refer to one of these massive air-ships going down as "sinking". Randomly thrown into the mix is a group called the "Guild" who are only briefly shown but seem to be some kind of overseer or, for lack of a better term, sheriffs of the battling nations. However, in their one scene they seem to be uncaring about the "inappropriate" battle techniques one side is using...if you're confused reading this, try watching the show. I took a lot of what I was seeing on faith; either in the idea that it would be explained later or in the idea that I just had to accept that certain things were how they were in this universe and would not ever be explained because the creators simply did not feel it warranted explanation. Long-story-short, the show is good. Thus far I'd recommend it, but don't turn on the subtitles. They don't match up with the English dubbing very well at all. I'm not sure if they're a more accurate representation of the original Japanese or just bad subtitling but it got confusing and annoying pretty quick. Another Japanese show I got the first disc is Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Thus far from the first couple episodes I've watched I really have no idea what's going on...but I'm going to stick it out.

Ahh the beauty of Netflix.

I'm going to leave you on this note: I leave for Hawaii in exactly 50 days; Hell. Yeah.

Peace,

Tb (JQ)

No comments:

Eulogizing Social Media

Not to betray some kind of unknown truth about me or anything but...I’m closer to 40 than 30 and what that means is that I grew up in a w...